The Margarita. Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it Margarita, which of course means blacking out in Tijuana.
This is a really simple cocktail that tastes amazing, is very refreshing and always leads to a good time. When it comes to making a margarita there are only 5 ingredients you need.
- 2 Limes
- 1 ½ oz of Tequila
- ½ oz of Triple Sec
- ½ oz of Agave
- Course Salt
There are many ways to make a margarita, but we are going to go over how to make a classic margarita which is shaken and then poured over ice.
- Fill cocktail shaker with ice and add your tequila, triple sec, agave and the juice of one lime.
- Shake thoroughly to combine everything and to start to chill it before we pour it into our glass.
- Rim the edge of your glass with a slice of lime and dip into course salt.
- Add some ice to your margarita glass and pour out your drink through a strainer.
- Drink and repeat.
The Best Tequila For Making A Margarita
DO NOT BY CHEAP TEQUILA! There I said it. If you are wanting to actually enjoy your margarita then spend a little more and get a high quality tequila.
Here are my recommendations:
Those are my favorite tequilas for making margaritas, but just like with anything use what you prefer. If you like waking up in a foreign country with a new tattoo then go ahead and buy that $5 bottle of El Destilador, but I wouldn’t recommend it.
What you should look for in a tequila is something that has a good bite to it. Unlike the classic mojito you want your margarita to have some punch. That being said just buy one of those tequilas above and you’ll be good to go.
The History Of The Margarita
According to cocktail historian David Wondrich, the margarita is merely a popular Mexican and American drink, the Daisy (margarita is Spanish for “daisy”), remade with tequila instead of brandy, which became popular during Prohibition as people drifted over the border for alcohol.
So shout out to Woodrow Wilson I guess for the introduction of tequila and Canadian whiskey.
Other Types Of Margaritas
I remember when I was in Grand Turk at Margaritaville and I was blown away by the massive list of flavors and styles. They had banana, coconut, bacon, frozen, skinny, classic, blah blah blah.
So don’t feel restricted to making classic margaritas. Try different things. Because if Jimmy Buffet says its okay then who cares what anyone else says.
The Classic Margarita
- Cocktail Shaker
- 1 ½ oz Lime Juice (Juice Of One Lime)
- ½ oz Triple Sec
- 1 ½ oz Tequila
- ½ oz Agave
- 1 Pinch Course Salt
- 1 ct Lime Wedge
- Fill shaker with ice and add tequila, triple sec, lime juice and agave.
- Shake thoroughly to combine and chill ingredients.
- Rub lime wedge along the rim of the glass and dip into course salt.
- Pour drink through strainer into margarita glass filled with ice.
- Listen to Jimmy Buffet.